Britannia relied heavily on multiple forms that were accessed by a variety of departments and individuals throughout the organisation. Each form served a purpose and was an integral part of an overall lifecycle.
For example, incoming purchase order documents would be routed to accounts for processing and through that process, the document would follow a particular workflow throughout its life.
Document Management System
Britannia typically used email as a repository for incoming forms and as a solution to route documents to various departments for processing. This manual process depended on people making document routing decisions independently and lacked consistency in delivery.
Awareness for the status of a document within in its lifecycle was difficult to understand and the absence of a robust system resulted in documents being mislaid.
Due to the nature of the pre-defined document types (i.e. invoices, purchase orders, request for services etc), an automated workflow was proposed. Velocity IT developed an automated routing system, via a K2 workflow process that manages the lifecycle of multiple document types and presented the following benefits:
- An incoming document can automatically be routed to the workflow process responsible for its routing and management
- Incoming documents can easily be identified and routed to the correct department for processing
- The system enables employees to capture worklists and receive tasks pursuant to the state of the document in the lifecycle process
- Significantly reduced processing time of documents
- Reduced cost associated with documents going missing
- Ease of access to change workflow processes in line with amendments to company policy and the addition of new documents
- Presented a dashboard suite to indicate the volume and location of business documents and how quickly teams process transactions
The adoption of the new Document Management System has allowed the business to reduce operating costs and significantly improve its ability to scale.
Due to the framework built system, the business users can autonomously adapt and evolve their processes to meet the future needs and objectives of the organisation.